Autry O.V. "Pete" DeBusk
Owner & Chairman
"It has been a longstanding part of DeRoyal's strategic vision to be able to manufacture a diverse group of products for ourselves and our customers."
DeRoyal's success can be attributed in great measure to its owner and chairman, Autry O.V. "Pete" DeBusk. An innovator, a salesman, and a skilled manufacturer, Pete has positioned DeRoyal to respond quickly to the needs of caregivers. Health Industry Today describes DeRoyal as "the undisputed leader in innovation. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Pete DeBusk can easily live off the fumes of acclaim for years."
Pete was born and raised in Rose Hill, Virginia. Pete graduated from Thomas Walker High School in Rose Hill, received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology from Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, Tennessee and attended graduate school at the University of Georgia.
Pete began his career in 1965 as a pharmaceutical salesman for Hoechst Laboratories. In 1969, he joined Solar Laboratories as a regional sales manager. His education and experience led him to the development of his first company, Pete DeBusk and Associates in 1970.
In 1973, Pete patented his first orthopedic product and founded STAT Medical. In 1976, DeRoyal Industries, Inc. was incorporated. Since that time, DeRoyal has grown to manufacture over 30,000 different medical and surgical supplies with over 2,000 employees.
Boards & Community Organizations
Awards & Honors
- 2011: Philanthropist of the Year Award by the Association of Fundraising Professionals, Greater Smoky Mountain Chapter
- 2011: Health Care Heroes Lifetime Achievement Award by the Knoxville Business Journal
- 2010: Knox Heritage Ronald E. Childress Award for Preservationist of the Year, for his leadership and vision in renovating Old City Hall in downtown Knoxville to become the Lincoln Memorial University Law School
- 2008: James A. Haslam II Leadership Award by the Knoxville Chamber of Commerce
- 2006: Distinguished Service Award, Wound Healing Society
- 2006: DeBusk School of Osteopathic Medicine named in his honor at Lincoln Memorial University
- 2003: DeRoyal awarded Medical Surgical Manufacturer Award by MedAssets
- 2001: Association of Governing Boards of University & Colleges, nominated for Distinguished Trustee of the Year Award at Lincoln Memorial University
- 2001: Hammer Award for excellence in the reinvention & process enhancements within the Dept. of Defense Logistical Supply Chain Processes for DeRoyal’s participation as a primary vendor of the awarded PREPAC Program
- 2000: Outstanding Philanthropist for East Tennessee by Great Smoky Mountain Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals
- 2000: Duke University Recognition of Excellence for His Original Contributions to Orthopedic Surgery
- 2000: Association of Governing Boards of University & Colleges, nominated for Distinguished Trustee of the Year Award at Lincoln Memorial University
- 1999: DeRoyal Nominated for AARC (American Association of Respiratory Therapists) Zenith Service Award
- 1999: DeRoyal named Best Field Support for McKesson HBOC AcuteCare
- 1999: Employer of the Year, awarded by Dept of Human Services (ARC) of Claiborne County, TN
- 1997: DeRoyal Industries named one of Knoxville, Tennessee’s First and Future 50 Largest Companies
- 1996: DeRoyal Industries named one of Knoxville, Tennessee’s First and Future 50 Largest Companies
- 1995: DeRoyal Industries named one of Knoxville, Tennessee’s First and Future 50 Largest Companies
- 1995: East Tennessee Business Hall of Fame, sponsored by Junior Achievement of East Tennessee
- 1993: Doctor of Science and Technology, Honorary degree from the International Hall of Fame, sponsored by the Inventor’s Club of America.
- 1993: New Product of the Year, International Hall of Fame, sponsored by the Inventor’s Clubs of American for the TraceCart
- 1992: Entrepreneur of the Year, Coopers and Lybrand
- 1990: Doctorate of Public Service, Honorary Degree from Lincoln Memorial University